How To Change Colors In Crochet – Expert Pro Guide In 2023
Crochet has become very popular right now all over the world. Crochet contains stitches and many patterns. You cannot consider crochet with patterns and stitches. Crochet is used to make blankets, hats, sweaters, and shawls. But there are different color combinations that you can add to crochet blankets. There are some art and many beautiful designs with as many colors as you use, which will make your crochet attractive!
But you might be thinking that you don’t like the current design that it has. So how can you change the color of your crochet? Maybe this question popped up in the middle of your sewing project as well! It’s so easy to change color anytime in your crochet. What you need to do is change the yarn and drop the old yarn. Besides, there are some simple instructions to follow to help you change color in other ways as well! I will definitely discuss those formulas to change the color of your crochet.
- Changing yarn and selecting a high-quality yarn is important for color changing in crochet.
- Amigurumi is the most popular form of crochet. You can change Amigurumi’s color by simply switching to a slip stitch.
- You are able to change color at any position of the project. Such as the middle of the row, the end of the row, and the middle or end of the round as well.
The Basic Method of Changing Yarn
Before you get started, here are some necessary materials you need to change a crochet color.
- Soft Yarn
- Large-size hook
Color change in crochet means the changing color of yarn. The full crochet depends on yarns. So, you need to use multiple colorful yarns to change the crochet color. Suppose, you want to change the crochet color to red from blue. Now simply drop the blue yarn and place red yarn instead of blue. I think you get the basic idea to change the color of the crochet. To understand the method clearly, I’m pointing out the steps:
- When you want to change the color, you need to stop crocheting that time right before you pull through the last two loops on the hook. And simply drop the old color of yarn.
- Put on the color on the hook and simply pull through the last two loops on the hook.
- You can put the new yarn on the hook. Lay the new yarn over. Hold the yarn tail to the back of the work.
- Last one is to pull the new yarn through the last loop to complete the stitch.
This is the basic method of changing color in a crochet. In the next discussion, I will show you all the methods of changing color in crochet.
How to Change The Color in Each Stitch?
You already know about crochet that it has different stitches and patterns. All the methods are not the same. Each pattern has its own personality. Today, you will learn how to change color in each stitch or pattern.
Single stitch and basic stitch methods are the same. There is no noticeable difference between the method. Simply yarn over with new color and pull up a loop. 2 loops will be created. Then yarn over and pull through both loops on the hook. So, the single stitch is very easy to crochet and can change the color.
Changing color in double crochet is different from single stitch. When you want to change the color, you have to create loops to switch to a new color. At first, yarn over, insert the hook and then yarn over again to create loops. You will see that 3 loops have been created there as you know that 3 loops have been created in double crochet. Then yarn over and pull through 2 loops on the hook. It is time to switch on the new color. Yarn over and pull through both loops o the hook. Now continue to crochet your project with new colors. So, this is how you can change color in crochet by double crochet. If you are doing double crochet, simply change the color with those instructions.
Half-double crochet is another most used crocheting method. You need to follow a different method to change the color of this crochet. You pull through 2 loops while switching colors in a half-double stitch. But, you have to pull 3 loops all together to change color in crochet. So that’s the difference actually between double crochet and half-double crochet. Now, I am going to elaborate on the method of changing color in this crochet. Yarn over, insert the hook then pull up a loop. You will see that 3 loops have been created. Then, simply yarn over and pull 3 loops through the hook. This is the way of changing color in half-double crochet. It’s way simple and not that complicated. You need to practice for one or two days then you can do that easily while changing the color.
Slip stitch is another form of crocheting. It is very easy to change color with a slip stitch. To change the color, you need to yarn over first. Then insert the hook and pull the loop through the loop to switch color in slip stitch. There will be one loop only which makes your old crochet tighter than before.
Granny square patterns are often colorful. It instructs you to work with new colors in every round. It is a bit complicated to change color with it.
Start the granny square with the first color which is in the yarn. After the first round fasten off the first color. You need to cut off the yarn and keep a 6-inch tail of yarn to weave later. Then pull the yarn tail through the first loop on the hook.
Switch a new color of yarn. Make a slip knot with the new color of yarn and place it on your hook.
Next, adjust the new yarn to the granny square. Insert your hook into the corner of the granny square. Now, yarn over the new yarn, and pull through the yarn to create a slip stitch.
This time you can work with the newly introduced color.
Now continue working with the new color until you need another new color with your granny square project.
By changing a single stitch in the crochet, you can make a colorful design and change the color for it!
Changing The Crochet Color in The Row
Suppose, you are crocheting a project for your client. He demands color variation in the middle of the row. Now, you are not informed about the method to do it. No problem at all. Just read my words and make it way easier for you. Generally, you face the issue in the middle and end of a row. So, I am discussing that method to change color in the middle and end of a row.
Middle of the row
To change color in the middle of a row you have to follow 3 simple steps.
- Stop crocheting when the last loop remains on the stitch.
- Now put the new color on the hook that you want to change.
- Use the new color on your hook and pull it through the last 2 loops.
Now you are ready to work with the new color.
End of the row
It is easy as well. It has some steps as well.
- When you want to change the color then keep your eyes on the loops. Stop crocheting when the last 2 loops are remaining.
- Next put the new color.
- Put the new color onto the hook and pull it through the last 2 loops on the hook.
- Finally carry on crocheting and you are ready to work with new colors in your project.
Changing Crochet Color in Rounds
Changing color in the middle of a round is not that difficult. It is almost the same way as changing colors in a row. I am discussing it to make it even more easy for you. You will learn to change color in the middle of a round, end of the round, and in the joint round as well. Now let’s start.
Middle of a round
- The process is almost the same as changing color in rows.
- Work until two loops are left on the hook.
- Cut off the first yarn
- Put new yarn on your hook.
- Finally, pull the new color through the last two loops on the hook to finish the stitch.
End of spiral round
- The process is the same as changing color in the middle of a round.
- Stop crocheting when 2 loops are left.
- Drop the old yarn and introduce the new color.
- Finish crocheting by pulling the new color through both loops on the hook.
- Crochet with the new color in the first stitch of the next round.
End of the join round
It’s a bit different than other rounds’ processes. The changing color process of this joint round is associated with a slip stitch.
- Finish crocheting the last stitch with the old color.
- Insert the hook into the first stitch. Yarn over with new colored yarn and pull through both stitch and loop to finish the slip stitch.
- Now you are ready to crochet with a new color at the end of a join round.
What are Amigurumi and Its Color-Changing Process?
Is the spelling of the work a bit uncommon or confusing? Yes, it is! It is actually a Japanese craft to make toys or stuff like this. Basically, crocheting is used to make Amigurumi. The color-changing process of it is similar to spiral rounds. You can simply follow that process to change colors. Otherwise, there are other methods to make your Amigurumi’s color smoother. Let’s know about that method.
- Add the new color of yarn just before pulling through the last two loops on the last stitch.
- Generally, you do a single crochet in the first stitch with new yarn. But you will do the first stitch by slip stitch.
- Then, get back to the first stitch of the round and crochet it with a slip stitch.
- So, this is the way you can change the color of Amigurumi and it will make your project look smooth and fresh.
Tips For Changing Crochet Color Easily
You have learned already the way of changing the crochet color. I think, your determination and dedication could make you an expert. I am going to tell you some important tips to develop your skills and change crochet colors seamlessly.
- Select color-changing methods wisely.
- Avoid those methods that make you confused. Do whatever seems easy for you.
- When you pick up a new color, you need to leave a yarn. Otherwise, you can’t crochet it in a proper way.
- When you cut the old yarn make sure that you leave a long tail as if you can weave it perfectly.
How do you switch colors while crocheting?
You can switch colors with your hook. Before switching colors drop the old yarn and leave a tail of it to weave next. And simply add the new color onto the hook and continue crocheting.
What is the easiest stitch to change the crochet color?
There are many stitches to change the crochet color. To change the color, I think the single stitch and end of the row stitch are way simple and easy than any other stitch.
Is it possible to change the color in the middle of the project?
Yes, you can do it. You can change the crochet color in the middle of a row, or the end of a row. Even middle of a round and the end of a joining round, you can change the color as well.
Changing color in crochet has many ways. When you want to change color always choose the easy methods to do it. No method is difficult but they are the same in process actually. That’s why you get confused sometimes. The easiest way is using single crochet and half-double crochet. But It will not work on every occasion. That time you need to use something new like a double stitch, slip stitch, or granny square stitch. Crocheting is incomplete without the presence of different colors and art. That’s why, It’s very necessary to learn the color-changing method fluently. Colorful projects can increase the demand for blankets or anything. The right combination of colors is important also. But, this is not relevant to today’s discussion. So, changing the color of the crochet is one of the valuable parts of crocheting. You cannot ignore that if you want to be good at crocheting. It’s not rocket science that you’ll get scared of that. Read it and practice it regularly. Then, I am assuring you that, it will be your cup of tea.